Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'll Never Desert You: The Accessories

Oh how I love wedding day details posts! I hope you enjoy mine as much as I've enjoyed other bee bloggers' posts! I definitely took the minimalist approach to my wedding day accessories. I knew that I was going to have a "statement" gown, especially with the blue sash, so I wanted all of my other details to remain subdued to allow the dress to take center stage.

I also never took too much thought about the "somethings" (i.e. something old, something new) as part of my wedding day accessories. But I think I inadvertently managed to hit all of them except "something borrowed" -- oh well!

All photographs are by Christopher Helm Photography


Perhaps my favorite wedding day accessory was my beautiful bouquet created by Gardenia Floral Design. It was packed with pink roses, giant peach-colored garden roses, and pops of blue delphinium. The colors were inspired by the gowns and sets of the Sophia Coppola film Marie Antoinette. The stems were wrapped in lace from my mother's wedding dress and secured with a blue ribbon which I bought to match my blue sash. The brooch, while I wish was a cherished family heirloom, was actually purchased at Michael's craft store! 


Another shot of the bouquet. It turned out more beautiful than I ever imagined! We were originally going to DIY our flowers and I'm so glad we didn't, even if it did end up costing us more in the end. 



The signature blue sash was handmade by my own mother. I bought the fabric at my local JoAnne's Fabric store and mailed it to her in Illinois. A week later she mailed the completed sash back to me. It was absolutely perfect! Unfortunately my bridesmaids had to steam out some wrinkles at the venue. 



And what would an accessories post be without the lady of the hour: my ivory silk chiffon Jim Hjelm gown. I wrote an entire post about my dress which you can read here. I am still so in love with this dress! I need another wedding just so I can wear it all over again. 



I wore VIKTOR & ROLF's Flower Bomb as my wedding day signature scent. I carried a vintage lace handkerchief with me (wrapped around my bouquet) to catch any emotional ceremony tears. I wore an art deco inspired bracelet I purchased on sale from Macy's. My ivory lace garter with blue ribbon and crystal was purchased from Etsy seller JLWeddings


I had no desire to wear heels on my wedding day, especially since our entire ceremony and reception were being held outdoors, mostly in a field. I saw a wedding blog post with a woman wearing these shoes (in brown) on her wedding day and I ended up finding them in gray on Amazon for $55! You can read more about my reluctant hunt for wedding day shoes here



I made my hair accessory two days before the wedding and burned myself with a glue gun in the process. I bought an almost identical accessory from Etsy seller TopWedding, but somehow in the weeks leading to the wedding it went missing. I'm convinced that either Mr. C or I accidentally threw it away, as it was inside a bag and went missing soon after an apartment clean-up. Since the Etsy seller is located in Hong Kong, there was no way I could get another one in time for the wedding. I was thankfully able to order similar feathers from a shop in the U.S. so I had them priority mailed to me and I completed the replica hair accessory just in time! The internet to the rescue! Incidentally, I now have a lot of leftover feathers. 


Here's a good shot of two accessories at work: my bracelet and the beautiful pearl necklace from Tiffany & Co. that Mr. C gifted me that same afternoon! Originally I did not plan on wearing a necklace, but his choice was the perfect complement to my wedding day look. I still can't believe he picked it out on his own. 



And finally, to top it all off, an ivory lace parasol. I found this at an antique store on one of the many weekends we spent collecting milk glass. It's not actually an antique, but at $25 I couldn't help but buy it for a few photos after the ceremony. It seemed decidedly Marie Antoinette to me and I think the photos with it turned out great.

What was your favorite wedding day accessory? 



1 comment: