Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I'll Never Desert You: The Kiss & Recessional

The emotional vows were exchanged. Our friends and family laughed and wiped away tears in turn. I couldn't stop smiling. The ceremony continued.

Todd (our Officiant):

Gavin, please repeat the words I share with you to Erin

I Gavin take you Erin to be my wife,
to have and to hold from this day forward,
for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer,
in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow,
to love and to cherish for as long as both shall live.

Erin, please repeat the words I share with you to Gavin

I Erin take you Gavin to be my husband,
to have and to hold from this day forward,
for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer,
in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow,
to love and to cherish for as long as both shall live.

All photographs are by Christopher Helm Photography. The venue is Cloverleaf Farms just outside of Athens, Georgia.

Mr. C's best man pulled a tarnished silver box from his coat pocket. He opened the box and inside were are wedding bands secured with a piece of antique lace. 

Todd: 

Gavin, what symbol do you have as a pledge of these vows?

Gavin as you place this ring, a visible sign of your commitment in marriage, on the third finger of Erin’s left hand, repeat after me:

Erin with this ring I thee wed. Take it and wear it as a symbol of all we shall share.

Erin what symbol do you have as a pledge of these vows?

Erin as you place this ring, a visible sign of your commitment in marriage, on the third finger of Gavin’s left hand, repeat after me:

Gavin with this ring I thee wed. Take it and wear it as a symbol of all we shall share.



Exchanging the rings is always a little awkward because your hands are sweaty with nerves and you are terrified that the ring will not fit! I was also scared that I was going to fumble and drop the ring -- thankfully the exchanging went smoothly.


And just to share, here's a photo I took of our rings and a box Ladurée macarons during our honeymoon. Just looking at this photo makes me miss those delicate little cookies (oh, and the amazing memories of our honeymoon). You can read more about my 1920's engagement ring here, or my antique wedding band here. Mr. C went with a tungsten band from a local jeweler.  Meanwhile, back at our ceremony. . . 

Todd:

Erin and Gavin, you have consented together to be bound to one another in lawful marriage; you have made  special promises to each other which have been symbolized by the sharing of vows and the giving and receiving of rings. By the authority vested in me, according to the laws of the state of Georgia, I now pronounce you to be husband and wife.

Gavin you may now kiss your bride!



Most awkward first kiss photo EVER. I am so sorry you guys have to see this, but I just couldn't write a ceremony summary without it! Mr. C and I even practiced to make it less awkward, but I guess our inner awkwardness won out in the end. Now we have to live with this picture for the rest of our lives. I'm okay with it though, because I love everything else about our ceremony and our photos. Plus we got some much better kissing photos later when there wasn't so much pressure to kiss in front of a crowd of people. 

Todd: 

Ladies and gentleman, it is my distinct pleasure to present to you for the first time, Erin and Gavin – husband and wife.  


We did it!! Married at last!



We had a dried lavender toss as we walked back down the aisle for our recessional. This is when our musicians Grace and Jordan kicked in with an instrumental version of ELO's "Mr. Bluesky" which I loved SO MUCH. It was seriously perfect and they did a great job! This song makes me so stupidly happy so I think it was the perfect choice for our recessional tune. Give it a listen! You can't hear "Mr. Bluesky" and not smile! 




Sun is shinin' in the sky,
There ain't a cloud in sight
It's stopped rainin'
Everybody's in a play
And don't you know
It's a beautiful new day.

Runnin' down the avenue,(Pant, Pant, Pant)
See how the sun shines brightly
In the city on the streets
Where once was pity,
Mr. Blue Sky is living here today.

[Chorus:]
Mr. Blue Sky, please tell us why,
You had to hide away
For so long where did we go wrong.
Hey there Mr. Blue
We're so pleased to be with you
Look around see what you do,
Everybody smiles at you.

Hey you with the pretty face,
Welcome to the human race
A celebration Mr. Blue Sky's
Up there waitin' and today
Is the day we've waited for


Then it was time for all of our bridesmaids, groomsmen, and groomsladies to make their way back down the aisle. I love all the beaming smiles in these photos! They warm my heart. 


And just like that, we were married! It was a strange, magical, and surreal moment. 



Then it was off to the cocktail hour! Or, you know, an hour's worth of family and couples photos. 




No comments:

Post a Comment