Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Antique Wedding Ring

Hey guys! I'm here to happily report that February was a month of extreme wedding progress for the Camels. We got a lot of the big wedding to-dos crossed off the list, and I know you ladies realize what a relief that can be!

So what have we been up to? Well, we booked our honeymoon flights and hotels. We also bought Mr. C a suit and gave suit instructions to the groomsmen. I finally found some bridal accessories that I can envision wearing on the big day and so I've picked out a hair piece and possibly a pair of shoes. I booked an appointment to discuss wedding hair and makeup at a local salon. I purchased my rehearsal dinner dress and I can't wait to share it with you guys! I've also booked my first wedding dress fitting at the end of March. Oh, and my favorite completed task thus far? I bought my wedding ring! 


Finding a wedding ring to match my 1920's engagement ring has not been easy. I've been scouring the internet for several weeks now. I looked into purchasing a thin 1.5 mm platinum wedding band from a local jeweler and they quoted me at $1,200! I know that the price of platinum has been rising, but that was particularly high when you can often find beautiful antique wedding rings in the $300-700 range online. I knew that finding the right size was important too because re-sizing an engraved band without interrupting the design can be difficult. Plus I didn't want to spend the extra money (if possible) for re-sizing.

This adorable Eiffel Tower ring holder was a Valentine's Day gift from Mr. C!
So let's take a look at my wedding band criteria:

  • Platinum
  • Thin band: 1.5 to 2 mm in thickness
  • Somewhere around a size 4.5 to 5.5
  • Preferably from the 1920's 
  • Preferably with an engraving from the previous owners

I found a few bands that I loved, but they were just way too big. Others were priced out of my budget. But then low and behold, I found this lovely on Ruby Lane (an antique/vintage site that is run like Etsy) a few weeks ago. I love this wedding band for a few reasons. First of all, I love that it is from the same decade as my engagement ring. It is also made of the same metal (platinum) so they will match with their aged patina. It has a design of stylized flowers that have been worn down with wear. Secondly, it has an inscription, which I find terribly interesting and romantic. In fact, I was searching specifically for bands with inscriptions. The hand engraved inscription reads: LFT - LM - 7-3-26 The year is 1926 and we are getting married on the 26th so I thought that would a fun coincidence for this ring. Funny story, I actually found a wedding ring with our exact wedding date on it (from 1934), but it was 18K white gold and it had just been sold. I was totally heartbroken! But that one had diamonds and I think the difference in metals would have bothered me over time. I'm so happy I held out and was able to find the one I have now.

There isn't much room for adding a new inscription, but Mr. C and I might look into adding something, even if it is just our wedding date or perhaps even the year. I love that we are giving this band a second life!

Showing off the new ring, wearing Essie's East Hampton Cottage nail polish. 
So, the ring is pretty much perfect. The only problem? I need to stop trying to wear it out of the house! For a while I was even considering nixing the wedding ring and just wearing my engagement ring because I didn't think I would be able to find something I loved that had the right price. Now that I've found "the one" I don't want to take it off!

Did you have a hard time picking out the perfect wedding ring? What is your wedding ring like?

No comments:

Post a Comment