Sunday, April 28, 2013

Our DIY Invitation Suite

Our invitations were definitely a labor of love. Thankfully, I learned the basic ropes of Adobe Illustrator when I sat down to create our save-the-dates earlier this year. This meant that the invitation process went much more quickly and smoothly than the save-the-date creation process. What took me a long time was finally settling on a color scheme and design. There are so many choices and it can feel overwhelming at times. At the end of the day, I simply needed to sit down, pick a design and walk away from it--and that's just what I did. I'm incredibly happy with the way that they turned out. Here is how it appeared to our guests upon opening the envelope: 



Poor Mr. C punched out all of those belly bands using a Martha Stewart punch one morning while I was sleeping in. He popped in The Hobbit DVD and went to town. By the time I woke up he had 100 beautiful belly bands neatly stacked into piles. He was also a huge help in the assembly process as we ended up mailing off around 80 of these invites to our nearest and dearest. 


The Moo mini card is a photograph I took at Versailles on the day we were engaged. French macarons will be making an appearance at our wedding in the form of favors and I felt that this little touch tied in the French/Parisian/Marie Antoinette feel I hoped our guests would get from our invitation. On the back of the mini Moo card is the information for our wedding website




I wanted to keep things really simple and uncomplicated with our invites. I would have loved to have envelope liners or one of those lovely pocket fold invitations -- but really invitations and envelopes all eventually end up in the trash. It's sad, but true. I wanted our invites to give off the look and feel of our wedding without being too over-the-top or expensive. Our RSVP was a postcard so that I could save the extra step (and postage) in including small RSVP envelopes. We had both the RSVP and invites printed at Catprint.com.



The RSVP postcards have a blank area on the front and instructions for guests to write us a message or draw us a picture. That way, even when we received RSVP's for "no" we could still have something fun and interesting to keep as a memento. I will share some of the drawings and messages in another post! 




And here they are, all ready to be mailed off! Another great thing about keeping things simple is that each envelope only needed one regular stamp. The post office even has beautiful vintage flower seed packet stamps right now and a lot of them match our wedding colors. Perfection!


It was a lot of fun working on these invites, but I am definitely glad that it is over and done with! Everyone seemed to really enjoy them and I received a lot of compliments on the design and little special touches like the belly band and the baker's twine.

How did you decide upon your invitations? Did you create them yourself or purchase them ready-made?

No comments:

Post a Comment