Monday, April 1, 2013

My Reluctant Quest for Wedding Shoes

This week it's all about the accessories! To find out about the headpiece and jewelry that I'll be wearing please check out my last post here!

I think there are two camps of women concerning wedding shoes. The ones who are shoe addicts who can't wait to splurge on a pair of designer heels for their wedding and the ones who hate shoe shopping and just want to pick a pair and get it over with. Yup, I'm in the second camp. I like shoes alright, but I don't go out of my way to lust over them. I like high quality, stylish, and well-made shoes that are comfortable and versatile. Not many bridal shoes fit all those criteria. But there are so many beautiful pairs of shoes out there and marketing has worked its magic on me. As such, I am somehow only drawn to shoes in the $250-350 range. Yikes! (BHLDN, I'm looking at you.) Unfortunately such luxurious shoes simply don't fit into my meager teacher budget.

Let's take a moment and stare wistfully at shoes that are completely out of my budget. Can you hear me sighing pathetically?

All shoes via BHLDN
I tried checking out the used shoe sections of websites (like here on Weddingbee's Classifieds or preownedweddingdresses.com) and I barely lost out on an ebay auction for an amazing pair of used Badgley Mischka's. But it is a serious time investment and honestly guys, ain't nobody got time for that. This is referred to as search costs in microeconomics. At some point the cost of searching the internet for used shoes in the correct color, size, and condition outweighed the benefit of the deal I would conceivably score. Essentially I got frustrated and gave up. That's when I spied these unconventional beauties on StyleMePretty a few weeks ago:

Image source via: StyleMePretty / Photographer: Raya Carlisle Photography

It was love at first sight. The bride added the adorable ties herself (which I am not dedicated enough to replicate--or am I??) but all the same, I love these delicate little flats. They are unique and comfortable and totally affordable. They are made by designer Lola Cruz and I bought them in gray for $55 on Amazon. Total score. They are made of leather and have a nice well-crafted weight to them. Plus the gray pair I purchased will match the gray suits and dresses the groomsmen and ladies will be wearing. Did I mention we are having groomsladies? Well, I shall have to introduce you to them in another post!

The real deal. Image source via: Amazon.com


At the end of the day, no one will really see or notice my shoes but me. They will certainly star in a few wedding photos, but otherwise they will remain under a mass of ivory silk chiffon ruffles. For now though, I'm glad this is one more big thing I could cross off my wedding day preparations list!

Which type of bride are you? The one who couldn't wait to buy her wedding shoes or the one who dreaded the search and was relieved when the process was over?

No comments:

Post a Comment