Sunday, October 21, 2012

All About Dresses

When I first started browsing the internet for wedding dresses, I was drawn to whimsical gowns with unique details. Unfortunately whimsical gowns with unique details are often very expensive. I made this sad discovery early in my dress hunt and it forced me to temper my expectations. But looking around online gave me a good feel for what I was looking for in a wedding dress. It also gave me a feel for what I didn't want in a wedding dress, namely a dress that is "sexy," form-fitting, trumpet, mermaid, or fit-in-flare. While these dresses are beautiful, they simply do not suit my style or personality. I was looking for dresses that were playful, fun, and a little different with minimal beading, lace, sequins, or crystals. Well, let's take a look at what tickled my fancy:

My first love was Amy Michelson's "Grace." I love the romantic, ethereal look of this gown. It looks like it is made of light and air. And this wedding? One of my absolute favorites. I think this is the wedding that got me really excited about actually planning my own wedding.

 Amy Michelson:"Grace." See the rest of this wedding HERE

For a while I was a little obsessed with a 1920's style wedding, complete with a 1920's style wedding dress by Jenny Packham. I'm not usually one for bling, but I love the beaded details on these gorgeous gowns. I desperately would love to pull off a sheath dress (so many of my favorites fit this silhouette), but alas they do not flatter my pear-shaped body.

Jenny Packham: "Foxglove" and "Willow" 
Then I turned my sights to the classically clean designs of Saja. I love the natural simplicity of these gowns and they remind me a little of stepping into a Jane Austen novel. Can't you imagine these lovely dresses at an outdoor wedding, with a messy bouquet of wildflowers and a halo of blooms in the bride's hair? Sigh.

Saja: VN6609 and HB6979

And for a few days I had a moment of total insanity where I was obsessed with Ian Stuart's "Bluebird." Could it be my insatiable desire for a Marie Antoinette-themed wedding? I have no idea, but I still love this over-the-top gown. It goes so much against all things I thought I would love, but tell me you wouldn't feel like royalty wearing this!

Ian Stuart: "Bluebird" 

But the dress that came the closest to being "THE" dress was BHLDN's "Cascading Goddess" gown. In fact, I only viewed dress shopping as a formality because my heart was so set on the "Cascading Goddess" with its romantic wispy skirt and layers of soft ivory silk. If I hadn't randomly found a dress I fell in love with (which incidentally reminds me of an "amped up" version of BHLDN's dress) -- this definitely would have been my top choice.

BHLDN: "Luella" and "Cascading Goddess"
If you didn't know, BHLDN is Anthropologie's sister company. I have a closet full of Anthropologie dresses, skirts, and blouses (I have a problem, ask my fiance), so when I found out about their foray into the wedding world I was thrilled. I love their collections so much, especially the bridal accessories and even the guest or bridesmaids dresses. Every time I visit their bridal hair accessories section I want to spend an inordinate amount of money. It's like they have tapped into the fairy world of my bridal imagination and pulled out everything I've ever wanted. And seriously, I was incredibly close to owning one of their wedding gowns. Love, love, love.

In the end I didn't pick a dress by any of these designers! In fact, my dress's designer is known for more modern-styled wedding dresses. He just happened to have this one dress in ivory silk chiffon that reminded me of a swan princess. And in that moment I was utterly and completely sold, even if the price tag said, "NO WAY." Combine some of the common themes in the dresses above: soft, ethereal, ivory, and dramatic and you have a pretty good idea of what I will be wearing in May. 

Did your wedding dress vision evolve over time or did you start and end your search with one specific style in mind? 

No comments:

Post a Comment