Friday, October 26, 2012

The Do-It-Yourself Itch

Guys, I'm feeling crafty. I feel like starting a DIY project (or two) so that I can cross some decor items off our wedding to-do list. Let me share a few things I'd like to make.

I saw this styled photo shoot on Green Wedding Shoes recently and I fell in love with the ombré dyed fabric chandelier. The theme for this inspiration shoot was "Underwater Garden" and I love the watercolor-like softness created by the whimsical strands of dyed fabric. A few years ago I made a costume that required the use of ombré-dyed fabric, so I think I have an idea of how to recreate this look. Actually, I think there are two different methods. I guess I will just have to see which is the easiest and most successful!

Image via: Green Wedding Shoes / Photography by: Dallas Curow / Event design by: Elyse Cragg

And what would I do with a ombré dyed fabric chandelier you might ask? Actually, I'd like to tie the fabric strips onto a rope to use for our ceremony. Afterwards we could use it as decoration behind the dessert table. I'm not quite sure yet. But I do know that it would look fabulous in our engagement photos! I'm thinking something like the last photo from the inspiration shoot above. If that's not enough to tickle your fancy here is some more inspiration for you. Imagine the possibilities!

Image via: Green Wedding Shoes / Photography by: Bryan N. Miller Photography

My next DIY project involves wooden letters. I found this image on Pinterest (imagine that) and I love that instead of being painted, the letters appear to be covered with vintage-inspired scrapbook paper. The colors and the damask patterns on these letters would be perfect for our Marie Antoinette-inspired wedding. I can't wait to try it out!

Image via: StyleMePretty / Photography by: Adria Peaden

Keep in mind that I live in an apartment building, and while I have access to a wooded and grassy outdoor area, I don't have access to a covered garage. That certainly hinders our crafting possibilities, well that a lack of power tools and wood working equipment, but I hope that I can show you that even in a small apartment with minimal special equipment, DIY weddings are possible! I will report back soon with my DIY attempt findings!

What are some projects on your DIY to-do-list? 

No comments:

Post a Comment