Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Siren Call of Milk Glass

I don't know how it happened, but somehow I fell into the milk glass wedding trend. I didn't even know what milk glass was a year ago and now I have quite the collection of it gathering dust on top of my bookshelves and kitchen cabinets until our spring wedding. I think that's a pretty common trend in the wedding world: the photo booth or the blue mason jars that you never knew existed before being engaged are suddenly huge priorities. You must have them. But you had never heard of them just months earlier. 

Image via: Ruffled / Photography by: Jeremy and Alicia Brown / Floral design by: Mum's Flowers / Event design by: Vintage Whites Wedding Rentals 

I blame the internet. Actually, I blame the internet for a lot of things, but especially for my milk glass obsession. Using milk glass as wedding decor is nothing new; it's definitely been around for several years. I'm also not the first Bee to obsess over milk glass. If you want to learn more you can check out Ms. Gazelle, Mrs. PretzelMrs. Archer, and Mrs. Magic's posts on the topic. I know it's nothing special or new, but you know what? It's been a lot of fun looking for milk glass. Maybe that's part of the appeal because it's fairly cheap and somewhat easy to find. It's like a wedding decor scavenger hunt! I've even gotten friends and family in on it too, even coworkers. A sweet English teacher down the hall brought me an entire box of milk glass pieces a few weeks ago, just because she thought I would like them. How sweet is that?

When I have some time, I will take some photos of my collection. Until then, there's plenty of milk glass inspiration available online.


1) Image via: StyleMePretty / Photography by: Chenin Boutwell
2) Image via: 100LayerCake / Photography by: Erin Hearts Court
3) Image via: Ruffled / Photography by: Jeremy & Alicia Brown

Interested in starting your own milk glass collection? Here are some places to start looking:
  • thrift stores
  • flea markets
  • antique stores
  • yard sales
  • eBay
  • vintage shops 

The cheapest places to find milk glass are definitely thrift stores like Goodwill. They sell most items for dirt cheap, but it might mean picking through a lot of random odds-and-ends to find what you are looking for. I once bought seven milk glass vases from our local Goodwill for a total of $3.50.

Buying some of the more generic pieces for cheap meant I could splurge on nicer pieces at antique stores, pieces that I will most likely keep after the wedding. But going to antique stores means wading through lots of weird stuff, like clown memorabilia. And creepy naked baby dolls. Seriously guys, I want to collect all the clown memorabilia of the world and throw it into the sun.

The stuff of nightmares. Personal photo, unfortunately. 

Anywho, where were we? Ah yes, milk glass. Blue milk glass is definitely the hardest to find. If you've got to have the blue, I would definitely check antique shops and eBay. I found a few nice pieces in California, one here in Georgia, and I bought three on eBay. I want one blue piece for each table, so I will need to add a few more pieces to my collection before May. I think that's a job I can handle!

Are there any wedding trends you are buying into for your wedding? If it involves clowns, I don't want to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment