Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Wedding Colors Chose Me

Do you ever feel like wedding planning is turning you into someone unrecognizable? I look in the mirror and I hardly know myself these days.Okay, maybe it's not quite so dramatic, but I do want to state for the record that I've never been a big fan of the colors pink or orange. Then one day I was browsing one of the big wedding blogs when I saw an inspiration shoot that awoke all the silly girlishness within me. Suddenly I had to incorporate the color pink into our wedding. PINK. And peach. And salmon. And a lovely cornflower blue I'm a little obsessed with at the moment. Who was this person who wanted pink and orange tones popping up on her wedding day?

Our color scheme! (personal photo) 
So what images inspired this about-face in color preference? Well, let me share them with you!

Image via: StyleMePretty / Photography by: Corbin Gurkin / Event Design by:  Maine Seasons Events

This image has it all -- gorgeous ruffled garden roses in peachy, pinky hues, and that pop of blue from the delphinium. When you see the rest of the inspiration shoot, you will weep silently to yourself. At least, that's what I did when I first saw them. You see, they seem to be the perfect inspiration for my Marie Antoinette countryside wedding theme. 

Let's ogle some more images, shall we? Mmm. . . wedding inspiration. . . 

Image via: StyleMePretty / Photography by: Corbin Gurkin / Event Design by:  Maine Seasons Events
These images sent me on an insane hunt for the elusive blue milk glass you see in these photos. I now have a collection of around six or seven pieces. Ideally, I'd like to have one blue piece for each table. These images also had me second-guessing my choice to avoid using gold in our wedding palette. I am going to try to switch the gold out for small silver accents, but I'm worried it won't have the same rich glow that these images evoke. Either way, gold is one of those colors you have to treat carefully. I don't think I have the designer skill to balance it right without it looking garish. Besides, I think stepping away from the gold allows more of that casual countryside feel to shine through and less of the rococo gilded opulence you often think of when you think of Versailles. 

Right now our centerpieces will be a mix of white milk glass, blue milk glass, and little tarnished silver pieces made up of sugar and creamer containers, and a few odds and ends I've found at local antique stores or the flea market. I've also collected some vanity trays and mirrors to use as a base for our centerpieces. 

Oh, and did I mention we are going to DIY our flowers? Yeah, that too. Because apparently I am insane. I'm hoping the whimsical country feel of the wedding will mask my lack of experience when it comes to flower arranging.

So while the above inspiration images are my ideal, my Holy Grail of inspiration so to speak, I think the reality will look something more like this (obviously with more blue and less yellow): 

Image via: StyleMePretty / Photography by: Amie Schroeder / Floral Design by: Hana & Posy

I am actually quite proud of the collection of white and blue milk glass Mr. C and I have amassed over the past few months. That collection will require an entry of its own soon!

Did you find that wedding planning caused you to seek out colors or inspiration that you would have otherwise ignored or disliked?


No comments:

Post a Comment