Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wedding Inspiration Fit for a Queen

In my last post I described my wedding vision: Marie Antoinette at the Petit Trianon. But how exactly does that translate to wedding decor? I think it's time for a montage. Yes, a wedding inspiration montage. (cue inspirational 80's music)

Sources: Cakes, Cupcake Toppers, Flowers, Art, Tablescape
This is where I started, with some of the classic colors associated with Marie Antoinette: bright pinks and sky blues. Unfortunately I think it would be way too easy to go over the top with pinks and blues, so I decided to find a way to tone these colors down and get back to my original inspiration. Here is the result:

Sources: Ribbon Garland, Milk Glass Vases, Bouquet, Marie Antoinette (personal photo), Tablescape
As you can see, I added softer pinks and blues and found images that included peach and cream tones as well. I keep coming back to that iconic portrait of Marie Antoinette--the slate blue of her dress, the delicate cream lace, that blushing pink rose in her hand which echoes the color of her cheeks. It evokes all the lovely colors I hope to represent at our wedding. And with that, here is our wedding color scheme: 

Color scheme by me!

I never would have imagined that I would include any pink or orange tones in my wedding, but one inspiration shoot changed everything and set me on a mad hunt for blue milk glass. But I will save that for another entry!

One thing that will definitely not show up in any of our decor, paper goods, or signage is the phrase, "Let them eat cake." Marie Antoinette never uttered this famous phrase so often associated with her, but she has been branded with it in every high school history text book. In fact, as soon as you mention Marie Antoinette, people immediately think of the spoiled, out-of-touch queen of the French Revolution, snubbing her nose at the starving peasants by insisting that they eat cake if they can't find bread. You can read more about it here

How did your wedding inspiration evolve over time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment