Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Antique Ring Obsession

I don't know when it started, but at some point I decided that I wanted a vintage engagement ring. I came to this realization in my early 20's, well before I met Mr. C. I guess I've always had this vision that I would wear something with a bit of history, something with an ornate art deco or art nouveau style, something different.

I'm enchanted with the idea of wearing a ring that once witnessed a great love. Maybe the ring eventually fell into the hands of a relative who sold it. Now it has the chance to know true love once more. But sometimes I wonder what if the opposite occurred -- what if the ring is from a failed or rocky marriage? What if it has seen a great tragedy? In that case, I believe that  we would be giving the ring a fresh start for love. I wonder where my ring has traveled, where it has been. Who once looked down at their hand each day to see that ring gleaming on their finger? Can you tell that I'm stupidly sentimental?

All antique rings from Erie Basin

When Mr. C and I first started talking about marriage, I told him that I wanted to play a role in finding the ring. I struggled with this choice because ideally I wanted the whole process to be a surprise. In a perfect world the entire engagement would be a surprise and the ring would be everything I had always dreamed it would be. But in reality it must be incredibly overwhelming for a man to walk into a jewelry store and try to predict which ring his girlfriend would love for the rest of her life. That's a lot of pressure and I've seen it set some couples up for disappointment. Besides, I know myself well enough to know that I often have unrealistically high expectations. I didn't want to set my poor fiance up for failure. I want to be clear that I wasn't worried about being disappointed in the carat size -- we're both hard working teachers after all. We don't exactly make a lot of money. I was more concerned about the wide range of styles found in antique engagement rings. Even on my own I was having trouble narrowing down what exactly I wanted.

Did you play any role in choosing your engagement ring?

No comments:

Post a Comment